Skip to main content

A Major Benefit of Call Option Writing that is Rarely Mentioned

I have been trading options (primarily selling covered calls) for about six months now. I have made almost 300 trades in this time. Some observations I have made are as follows:


  1. If there is more bullish sentiment out there, you can sell more covered calls. Therefore trading is not uniform every week or every month.
  2. Options trading requires enormous patience and effort.  If I enter 10 covered calls, sometimes three or four get sold, sometimes none get sold.
  3. This whole experience is very similar to what I had observed back in my village when I was a child. One of the Annayyappa's (the younger one) had a general store which his father tended. His father spent his entire life sitting and selling items in that store. He died at over 100 years of age in that store. The son went every week to Chinthamani to buy items in bulk and stocked the store. The father decided the prices more or less at the time of sale. They hoped they are selling at higher than the purchase price at least most of the time. There wasn't any clear accounting. Apparently, they made money because they bought jewelry for their women folk constantly. I observed the entire time I lived in my village (up to age 14). Now after 5 decades I have understood the moral of this story. It is the process. Do not think about every single trade. Trading is your life and keep doing it no matter what. It will work out in aggregate very well. 
  4. With my options trading I maintain much better accounting. But I have realized, too much accounting and looking at numbers all the time is not good for your basic health. You will have losses and gains. Take the losses in stride, learn from them, and then forget about them.
  5. If you own a stock, its price keeps going up and down constantly. Regardless, it is just paper loss or paper profit. It is real loss or profit only when you sell it. Generally, nobody wants to sell when it is up. They think it will go even higher. A covered call accomplishes what humans psychologically cannot do - sell when it is high. Let me illustrate. I bought 200 shares Texas Instruments at $111.40 per share. Wrote a covered call with $115 strike. The stock reached $115.14 on the expiration date which was just 5 days after buying the stock. It got assigned. I got a premium of $24 and capital gains of $718. This amounted to almost 300% annualized return.  But if I had not sold the stock, I would have had a few more dollars worth of paper profit but, the stock could fall the following week and wipe out my paper gains. I don't think I would have sold the stock myself. The covered call did it! This is the major point of this post. In the six month period I have sold almost 100 stocks. About ten resulted in capital loss. This is also good. On our own we don't get rid of losing stocks with the hope they will raise again. They may but you have capital tied down longer with a loser. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Biography of Sri Hiriannaiah

I read the following biography of Sri Hiriannaiah at http://rajchat.info/vasudeva_kutumbukam/7_two_exemplary_officerst.html. Sri Hiriannaiah also belonged to Bobburkamme sect and most probably our family is related to his family, exactly how I don't know but may learn in the future. What was interesting is the propensity of descendants of Sri Kalappa to pursue law and serve in justice profession. The entire biography is copied from the above source. " Sakleshpur Hirianniah (S. Hirianniah for short) was born on 24th of June 1877 in Sakleshpura which is a taluq headquarters town in Hassan district. The taluq is situated in the high mountainous area of the Western Ghats, The mountains are covered by tropical forests where grow teakwood, rosewood, sandalwood and other tropical trees, and there is very heavy rain during the monsoon months. The ground under the trees are covered by all sorts of plants and creepers an

My MOOC Progress

I finished my first MOOC course "Introduction to Mathematical Thinking" taught by Keith Devlin of Stanford, an outstanding professor. It was a tough course! I am almost half done with "Introduction to Genetics and Evolution" taught Mohammed Noor, another outstanding professor from Duke. I have already learned a great deal from this course. This is a tough course too. Believe it or not, I have signed up another 16 MOOCs! Within a month, three courses will be starting; Think Again: How to Reason and Argue , Introduction to Astronomy , Drugs and the Brain .  The New York Times called 2012, the year of the MOOCs, see http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/04/education/edlife/massive-open-online-courses-are-multiplying-at-a-rapid-pace.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&.

401K, 403B Rollover into an IRA

I am trying to gather info on the IRA rollover. I am piecing together info I found on the web. 1. Can I Use an IRA Rollover to Move Funds Out of My Company Retirement Plan While I Still Work There? Probably not. Most company retirement plans do not allow you to roll funds out of the plan while you are still employed. To find out if they do, you can call your plan sponsor, and ask if they allow what is called an "in-service distribution". Does AT&T allow? Does TIAA/CREF allow? An in-service distribution is a different type of transaction than a loan or hardship withdrawal. An in-service distribution is a transaction where you can rollover a portion of funds in your plan into a self-directed IRA account while you are still employed. Only some plans allow this. No Longer Employed Once you are no longer employed, it may make sense to roll funds from your plan into an IRA account. At that time, to avoid tax withholding, you'll want to choo